With the ringing in of the festive season comes endless feasting and merriment. While persons with diabetes need to constantly watch their food intake and blood sugar levels, they can still enjoy a scrumptious meal too! Read on as TOUCH Diabetes Support shares a delicious diabetes-friendly recipe fit for the holiday season!
Chicken Orange Salad
(Serves 4 as a meal)
- 200g of boneless chicken breast
- 1 pack of baby spinach leaves (125g)
- 2 medium-sized carrots
- 1⁄4 of a red cabbage
- 100g of cherry tomatoes
- 1 red onion
- 1 can of chickpeas
- 1 can of oranges
- Olive oil, salt and pepper
- Sesame soy sauce salad dressing
- Mixed herbs
- Rub the chicken breast with a little olive oil, salt and pepper. Grill the chicken till cooked.
- Let the chicken breast rest and cool for at least 5 minutes before cutting it into cubes.
- Wash and dry the baby spinach leaves.
- Slice the carrots into circles with each being about 5mm thick. Boil till cooked then drain and set aside to cool.
- Chop up the red cabbage.
- Slice the cherry tomatoes in halves.
- Dice the red onion.
- In a large salad bowl, combine the baby spinach, carrots, red cabbage, red onion, cherry tomatoes, chickpeas and cooked chicken.
- Add in the sesame soy dressing and mixed herbs to taste. Toss the salad and mix well.
- Garnish with the canned oranges and mixed herbs, and serve.
Energy (kCal) : 290.5
Protein (g) : 15.21
Total fat (g) : 7.3
Saturated fat (g) : 0.66
Carbohydrate (g) : 38
Dietary fibre (g) : 9.75
Sodium (g) : 560
For more information on TOUCH Diabetes Support, please click here.