While persons with diabetes need to constantly watch their food intake and blood sugar levels, they can still enjoy a scrumptious meal with “trendy” ingredients too (cue the superfood of the moment – KALE!). Read on as TOUCH Diabetes Support shares a delicious diabetes-friendly recipe fit for those jolly potluck sessions!
Pumpkin Kale Salad
(Serves 8 as a meal)
- 1 pack of kale leaves
- ¼ of a pumpkin
- 1 can of button mushrooms
- 1 pack of edamame beans (in pods)
- 1 handful of mixed nuts and dried fruits
- Italian salad dressing
- Pepper and mixed herbs (for seasoning)
- Chop pumpkin into cubes and boil till soft
- Remove from heat and drain water. Place in fridge.
- Boil edamame (still in pods) for 3-5 minutes
- Remove from heat and drain water. Leave aside to cool then remove edamame beans from pods.
- Remove button mushrooms from can, wash and chop into quarters.
- Boil the chopped mushrooms for 3 minutes
- Remove from heat and drain water
- Marinade button mushrooms with pepper and mixed herbs.
- Wash and dry kale leaves. Place leaves into large salad bowl and add in cooked button mushrooms, pumpkin and edamame.
- Drizzle with Italian salad dressing and toss salad well.
- Top the salad off with mixed nuts and dried fruits, and serve.
Energy (kCal) : 198
Protein (g) : 10
Total fat (g) : 10.99
Saturated fat (g) : 1.25
Carbohydrate (g) : 17.75
Dietary fibre (g) : 5.69
Sodium (g) : 450
For more information on TOUCH Diabetes Support, please click here.