When two people from different backgrounds get married and live together, there are bound to be disagreements and points of conflicts. Even the most loving of couples aren’t immune to the occasional spat. But what keeps the love and marriage going despite conflicts is a couple’s ability to communicate effectively and create a safe environment for constructive open communication.
Most conflicts and misunderstandings stem from miscommunication. When someone keeps quiet or is unable to clearly say what he/she needs, the other party is left guessing. With time, the wrong assumptions caused by miscommunication over various issues can lead to conflicts in marriage.
Other times, a breakdown in communication occurs because both parties are too defensive and as a result, fail to listen to the other party in an open-minded and respectful way.
Effective communication is a key element to the success of a marriage. It enables both parties to be heard and to be understood. How then can couples work towards effective communication in their marriage amid disagreements? TOUCH Family shares six tips to improve the quality of communication in your marriage:
- Express clearly what you want instead of focusing on what you do not want
- Listen attentively and refrain from interrupting when your spouse is speaking
- Apart from listening to the words of your spouse, pay attention also to the emotions expressed by your spouse
- Instead of being defensive, try to be humble and respectful when your spouse is giving feedback on something you did which upset him/her.
- Encourage open communication by making an effort to share your thoughts in an objective manner and asking for your spouse' opinion on the matter. Also, work with your spouse to create a safe environment to express needs and to process hurts by reminding yourself to refrain from being judgmental during any sharing sessions.
- Express your appreciation and affirm your spouse regularly
Want to improve your relationship with your spouse? TOUCH Family is here to help. Contact us at 6709 8400 or [email protected] to find out about our counselling services.
Interested in equipping yourself with useful handles to strengthen your family? Check out our marriage courses and workshops here.
TOUCH Family aims to deliver impact to the community by building strong and fulfilling families, and promoting the well-being of individuals and families in need. It impacts 12,500 families and individuals each year through family-based services and programmes, and strives to provide a holistic integrated service to serve the needs of every person and family at every stage of their lives.